header fb

Our History

One Heart at a Time


history 53 Blake Street - 1987 to 1994
St. John the Compassionate Mission opened its doors on January 30, 1986. We first began by renting a small store on 53 Blake Street in the middle of a densely populated public housing project. The opening day was an act of trust in God’s desire to plant a presence of Faith, Hope and Love in that needy neighbourhood.
We had 500 dollars in the bank.
Initially established as a mission-parish of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Toronto, later in 2001 under Bishop Cornelius it was transferred to the Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church under the late Metropolitan Nicolas. Since the beginning, all services have been conducted in English. The community has always included people of many cultural, social and religious backgrounds. We learn to understand and respect each other through our common work and respectful dialogue. The community was linked for many years with Pain de Vie and received much of its early inspiration from exchanges with this international lay community.
In 1995, after a period of being homeless for one year, we moved out of Blake Street and with the help of friends, in particular Fr. John Tataryn of St. Demetrius Church, found our present permanent home on Broadview Avenue. This place is large enough to accommodate all our needs. All the renovation work in the building, including the chapel, was done by volunteers, some from far away as France.
Mission History - Slideshow



©2020 St. John the Compassionate Mission | 416-466-1357 | info@stjohnsmission.org
155 Broadview Avenue, Toronto, Canada M4M 2E9
Charitable Registration #893281832RR0001